Monday 26 September 2022

A birthday of no note

Oh god it happened. That thing when you get old and your birthday passes with no ceremony whatsoever... I mean that happens right? Or am I to blame, are you meant to make a fuss yourself and fan your own fare? I kind of think it's a thing that happens when you get older, people have busy lives, you almost forgot yourself for god's sake, life is far too busy for birthdays! And if it's not on Facebook, did it even really happen?
I'm 42 and I almost forgot my birthday. I think that's pretty good going 🤷‍♀️ I am a total child and I still look forward to my birthday like it's the one day I can do ANYTHING I want, I can eat cake, wear anything, be super happy for no good reason!
The husband was really busy before work on the day of all miraculous days, then after work felt ill, so that was that. My daughter didn't say anything in the morning but after school bought me a packet of my favourite sweets with her own money, which makes me wail into my pillow, so good job there. My mum finally decided I'm an adult now and don't need presents. That would be utterly fair if there wasn't some subtext (see previous and later installments of "my dysfunctional family")
And finally, the one extravagance I'd planned for myself, a takeaway... Was CLOSED on my birthday. Now that's just bloody rude!! You were my last hope, disgusting cheesy carbs! How could you desert me?!
And so it passes without ceremony, without a cake, without drunkenness, without artery blocking deliciousness, without event... (but plenty of presents to be fair!) 
But I think this is old, is it not? It's not a big deal getting a year older anymore right? Maybe my next actual celebration will be the big 50? Holy shit btw. If the next 7 birthdays are like this year's and the Covid years, fuck yes my 50th is going to be a banger, I'd better start planning it now! YOU ARE INVITED!  

No comments:

Post a Comment